LSS

Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Parsely, sage, rosemary and thyme????

Monday, October 03, 2011

Karen and Mom

       I love the voice of Karen Carpenters. Hers was the voice that didn’t need high notes just to prove a point of what a good voice quality is. I was influenced by my mom when it comes to liking the Carpenters songs. When she was still around, Karen’s songs were part of our family set up. She used to sing along with videoke whenever she could. My mom’s voice quality sometimes had given me goose bumps. I was in my early teen when we had that videoke player that she really had a fondness of. Love Me for What I Am, Just Fall In Love Again, There’s A Kind of Hush, You, Yesterday Once More, Solitaire, Only yesterday, Love Me for What I Am, I Won’t Last a Day Without You… these are just some of the songs my mom and Karen influenced me.

        Today I’m listening to these songs. In fact, I have downloaded the entire Carpenters albums! There are a lot of songs unknown to me which I find really nice. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetery Craft. A Song for You. Those Christmas songs that make you feel nostalgic. I can’t help but cry sometimes listening to Karen. Aside from the fact that her songs remind me of my mom who passed away 10 years ago, the songs are so meaningful and very true. Karen’s voice is so soothing. Hers has the power to calm your worried mind then makes you stop, think for a while and then later makes you reach for some sheets of tissue.  I have 2 most favorite songs of her: I Have You and I Need to Be in Love.

I Have You

I have always been a dreamer
Followed visions of my own
I was born to belong
To the lines of a song
And make them my home

I believe in happy endings
Though I've only known a few
For as rare as they are
Like a bright falling star
I found one in you

Sometimes
All the world can seem so
Friendless
And the road ahead so
Endless
And the dream so far away
Sometimes
When I'm almost
To surrender
Then I stop
And I remember
I have you
To save my day

Often my imagination
Has me reaching out too far
When I fell you were there
With your hand in the air
You knew from the start

Sometimes
After all you've done
To save me
Thru the love you freely
Gave me
Every step along the way
Sometimes
People ask what keeps me
Going
And in truth, it comes from
Knowing
I have you
To save my day

Sometimes
Feelng helpless
When I held you
Wishing words would come
To tell you
I have you
To save my day
 

I Need to Be in Love

The hardest thing I've ever done
Is keep believing
There's someone in this crazy world
For me
The way that people come and go
Thru temporary lives
My chance could come and I might never know



I used to say "No promises,
Let's keep it simple"
But freedom only helps you say
Good-bye
It took a while for me to learn
That nothin' comes for free
The price I've paid is high enough for me



(*) I know I need to be in love
I know I've wasted too much time
I know I ask perfection of
A quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's
What I'll find



So here I am with pockets full
Of good intentions
But none of them will comfort me
Tonight
I'm wide awake at four a.m.
Without a friend in sight
Hanging on a hope but I'm alright

*****************************

I wish I could sing like them. Heheheh…  J

*****************************

No comments: